The New Team on the Ice

The icey tundras of Baridi are the perfect place for the creatures adapted to the freezing cold.
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

The New Team on the Ice

Post by SilverWolf92 » 29-01-2010 00:00

The winds were high, and the valley of snow was quiet. High in the sky the stars glimmered as frost like clouds passed by, covering the moon as they slowly sheathed themselves over the ball of light. This particular night was something that would never be forgotten. A new man, a rookie to say the least, had just bought his first sled dog team. He was a tall, 6 foot 2, 25 year old Caucasian man, having messy dark chocolate scraps of hair with a light buzz cut ponytail behind him, and a small, bushy chin due to bits of chin hair. A feature that had many eyes looking his way was the light, jagged scar that ran across his left cheek to the center of his nose. The scar was what put a halt to his bright baby blue eyes.

Having just bought his first team, it was a small, but powerful, with a group of great, strong dogs. The man, Joshua, knew he had made the right choice. He lay inside of his tent, wondering quietly to himself how the race would fair out. He thought about how the first race would fair. Of course, he knew he was thinking too far in advance... After all, Joshua had just received his first team. He needed to train them before he felt they were ready for a big race. Plus, from experience, the young man knew that he couldn’t go head on and be filled with confidence. The last time he acted like a fool, it almost cost him his life. Joshua wasn’t going to go through with that again.

Closing his eyes, he started to think about the dogs he had met with, bonded with, and bought together. There was Harmony, Chikara, John, Caleb, and Anik. Caleb was the leader, Harmony and Chikara following up as the swing dogs. Then there was John and Anik, behind as the noble wheel dogs. Thinking back to the first day, Joshua smirked to himself. The dogs that he had bought he bonded with a few days, mostly in the pen where training would be. The first day was one that Joshua had never forgotten. Chikara and Harmony were ones that were very agile, as well as playful. Rough housing was Harmony’s specialty, while Chikara was playful and innocent after pulling on his shirt. Caleb and Anik were both broad and strong dogs, both having great potential. Caleb was more of a jock like personality, an alpha dog. Anik, both strong in size, was a much more calmer male, loyal. John was the only one that Joshua saw as cranky.

The first meet Joshua instantly knew that this dog wasn’t going to lie down and play dead through an affectionate master. Joshua could tell through the bars that this dog meant serious business. As Joshua had greeted his other dogs with compassion, he approached John with his hands to his side, and an easy command. “Sit.” John however, looked up and yawned, before turning the other cheek. Cheeky, Joshua had thought. After repeating several times, the command went through. It was like a staring contest, and Joshua knew from that point on he’d have a rough time with John; something that would definitely need improvement. Through that command and connection, it seemed that John knew that his owner wouldn’t be a slack off, easy going, playful affectionate chump, at least, not with John, anyways. After a few minutes, Joshua approached John before giving the dog a good pat on the head. “Good boy.” He coaxed, before looking to the others. A good bunch, he definitely saw great potential.

The final day with the dogs Joshua had brought them home. The place he had bought them was not too far from where a man named Gregory, who had owned Chikara, and willingly put her up for a good team to do too. With that knowledge in mind, Joshua had settled a bit out yonder close to where Gregory lived, since he was of course Chikara’s owner. Tonight however, was the first night that the dogs were Joshua’s, and they were waiting outside. The young man stared at his ceiling for a few more minutes, wondering how the dogs were doing. He could hardly believe they didn’t get too cold at these hours, and hoped they were getting to know each other. After all, although they had been in the same pen together, they didn’t know each other too well. Figuring that he might as well sleep on it and hope for the best, he curled up under the covers before closing his eyes and falling asleep.

Meanwhile, outside, the dogs had already gathered into their holes in the snow, ready to settle. Harmony, however, a husky wolf mix, wasn’t one for sleeping. Because she was half wolf, she had the blood running through her, and seeing the moon made her softly whine a bit. She wanted to let out a few barks, but decided to hold back. Unable to sleep though, she got out of her small snow circle and began trudging around looking at her new companions. Mostly they were all her age, only two she believed younger. Then there was the old one, John. He looked to be a strong dog anyways. Frowning, Harmony went back to her spot before saying, “Hey, anyone awake…?”
ImageImage

Leo
Beta

Post by Leo » 29-01-2010 00:27

This had been a long cuple of days from john, he had had to cope with being sold because he had lost his temper and killed one of his old team mates on his old masters team. it had crushed him, thank to his past he had lost a friend and a chace with a family, but he would make the most of this and wouldnt reck this chance, and also would not tell the others of his past that would just be bad news.
Then he found that his new master was a soft mushy human, when he had seen him with the other dogs on his new team, he had thought what a joke. all of his old masters had been furm and ruthless to start then the last one had been furm but fair. It would take this human a long time to gain johns trust and respect, it took him about 4 attemps at getting him to simply sit. He was testing the human to see how he would react, he got furmer but still, so john had sat lazly.

The other dogs turn out to all be a lot younger then him self, the oldest being about half his age, he didnt mind but he had been hoping for at lest one dog his age. He hadnt really gotten to no any of them yet, as it had been a busy cuple of days, so he had yet to make his own jugment on each of them. they did seem to be mostly novises, he had exsprence already which was his adavtage maybe he could help them, he thought.

“Hey, anyone awake…?”

John was curled up in he sallow snow hole snoozing not really sleeping, his tail covering his nose to keep it warm, and his paws tucked into his body, the weather was nothing he couldnt handle, he was quite nice and warm in this weather.
His ear twiched and he opened his eyes, and rasied his head to show he was awake. He looked over it was Harmony the young female. john yawned and got up streaching as he did, a cuple of his old bones cracking to them selfs. he snorted lightly in complant a cloud of breath dispering from his nose.
This would be a good time to get to no the team now the master had retiered for the night, the others would more likly wake up or be awake considing it was the first real night to meet each other.
He looked at Harmony for a moment, she looked like a good stronge husky but there was something difrrent about her, in her scent to.
He was looking followed to his new family, he had ruined his chances last time and now he would make it work, as they were young he could help them learn.

He smiled slightly and walked over to her being carful not to wake the others or step on them.
"you ok", he said in his deep toned voice.
live fast, die young in a nice pair of shorts.
plz for give my spelling Image
umm you all rock :D
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 29-01-2010 00:45

when moer ppl join in we'l have a posting order :D :D ))

Harmony was almost about to go back to rest, when it seemed movemnt could be seen. Head tilted and ears perked, to Harmony's surprise, it was John, the older one to have responded to her question. He didn't look that old, but she could tell he looked rather siff before being fully fuctional. He gave her a smile, before coming her way. She sat where she was, her tail curling slightly as she watched him approach. Now that she saw him, he was a lot more broader and bigger than she, bulky, in the good sense.

"You okay?"

She smiled back before nodding. "Yes, I'm fine.Just a bit lonely is all." she commented softly. "I was hoping maybe we all could get to know each other, just a little bit." she said. Outside of racing Harmony was quite docile. On the field, she was more than wild, but competetive. She was, after all, Kamikaze's daughter. "I mean, maybe, what our interests are and such..." she paused. Actually, she wasn't sure who was really awake. She'd expected no reply, so for now she was a bit out of topics or ideas.
ImageImage

Leo
Beta

Post by Leo » 29-01-2010 01:01

"Yes, I'm fine.Just a bit lonely is all." she commented softly. "I was hoping maybe we all could get to know each other, just a little bit."

John smiled at that as he he drew up to her and sat down as well. Are the joys of youth, talking before you no what your going to say, he chuckled.
"thats all right, i was hopeing to do the same my self", he said pusing and looking over throw the trees and at the masters tent.
"you been in a team before this",he said, his small warm smile on his muzzle.
It was strange thow the smile was warm and real, his eyes never softened, it was what showed that he was a soilder, he had the eyes.

His tail swayed side to side as he spoke, he always loved the peacful night, it was so carm and relaxing. His first take on harmony was good he like her she was carm and not in your face like most young things were, not that that was a bad thing, it just wasnt johns thing.
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 29-01-2010 01:21

"You been on a team before this?"

Relieved that h was the first one to ask a quetion, she glanced his way before looking toward the forest. "Actually no," she smiled. "But I used to race a lot with my siblings and friends, my parents too." she nodded. "We're like one big racing family." she actually laughed. She wondered how her folks were doing, what they were doing... how her siblings were fairing. She wondered if their life in the wild was treating them well. A small breeze came, and a bit of snow drafted uprward toward the bunch. Harmony had her tail curled around her then before closing her eyes, waiting for the wind to settle. She didn't like the cold, even if she was used to it because of her thick fur.

Looking to John then, she said, "What about you, John? You're pretty..." she paused. It would be rude to say old. "You look like you've been around a lot. Have you been on previous teams?" she asked.
ImageImage

Leo
Beta

Post by Leo » 29-01-2010 01:39

"Actually no," she smiled. "But I used to race a lot with my siblings and friends, my parents too." she nodded. "We're like one big racing family."

John nodded as she spoke but wasnt looking right at her, but looking out throw the trees, but he had a ear politly tilted to her to show he was lisening.
"thats good, at lest your not completly green".
He could tell she missed them, another trate of youth or was it, he thought back think did he miss any one......nope.

When she looked over at him, he looked down at her politly, still having the small smile on his face.
"What about you, John? You're pretty..." she paused. It would be rude to say old. "You look like you've been around a lot. Have you been on previous teams?" she asked.

When she started to talk he raised a eye brow, firstly calling him pretty wasnt quite right, and calling him pritty old would be a little rude, but she cort her self in time, which made john chuckle again. to be young.
"yeah i was on one before this one, we hueled supplies to villages around the baridi tundra when the trucks can no longer make the trip...but it didnt work out", he said only pusing for a moment, he face didnt change.

"but we wernt a racing team so this will be still quite new for me to, but il show you young ankle bitters how its done", he joked smiling a little wider.
No point trying to deni his age better to just imit it and move on.

"what you think of the master", he said nodding over to the tent.
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 29-01-2010 02:27

She tilted her head. "Completely green?" It must have been an old timer's word. Figuring it was something meaning being new to the team, she smiled. "Nah, I'm getting out of the green zone." she nodded her head. When John mentioned about teaching the youngings, she laughed. "I'd love to learn from you, I'm sure you have a lot of good techniques to help." she nodded. "It's ashame humans can't understand our speech. Then we'd be a good team." she grinned.

When asked about the master, Harmony tilted her head. "Well, I think he's nice. A good master." she nodded. "He'll treat us right. Plus, he knows our own personalities so I think we'll be okay." she said. "Although, what do you think about him?" She had recalled some times where John disliked the Master, she had to wonder why.
ImageImage

Leo
Beta

Post by Leo » 29-01-2010 02:43

"Nah, I'm getting out of the green zone." she nodded her head. When John mentioned about teaching the youngings, she laughed. "I'd love to learn from you, I'm sure you have a lot of good techniques to help." she nodded. "It's ashame humans can't understand our speech. Then we'd be a good team."

John laughed out loud at that, but then stopped quickly looking around at the others. it was funny how it took her a moment to figer then how she said it.
"well il do my best, but i dont think im all that good, id say many you just got to keep your head on and watch the train, lissen to the master and lead, and rember your work and job", he said nodding.
"it would be easyer if they under stood us, but im glad they dont, it would have made my life a lot harder if they did", he said chuckling again.
"but your right would make us a great team".

The thought of them under stand us was a thought indeed, it would be intresting but he was glad they couldnt, over the years john had learned to pick up on a lot of human langiwed but he wasnt a pro at it by any means.

"Well, I think he's nice. A good master." she nodded. "He'll treat us right. Plus, he knows our own personalities so I think we'll be okay." she said. "Although, what do you think about him?"

he thought about his answer for a moment, he didnt want to up set Harmony with his thoughts but he wouldnt beat about the bush ither.

"hmm, i think he's weak and to soft, im my exsprence you need a human who is bold and desisive, strong and ferm other wise they will not act ocordingly to the siutasuion, and he shouldnt get to close to his dogs, as you dont want it clouding the fact that theres work to be done, but i guess we will see how it pans out", he said going from a frown back to a smile.
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Post by Nakisha » 29-01-2010 15:00

Chikara could hardly be seen in her comfortable, insolating snow blanket. Her whole body was covered; only her black nose and ears where visible in the white mass. Her thick fur made sure her body didn't get wet; she was perfectly adapted to the climate.

She was fast asleep, dreaming about the past... the day she had rescued her master from that bear.
So many things had happend since then..

((For everyone who doesn't want to read lots of text; skip the part between the lines. For everyone who wants to know Chikara's background, enjoy it. :P))

---------------------------------------------------

She had been a lonewolf back then, born in the wild. Kiala, her mother, had been a hybrid; half husky, half wolf. She had never known her father, Flash; Kiala had told her he was a rough collie. But she and her siblings had been the result of a terrible rape... and thus had never seen him. And she was glad.
Her sister, Dusty, had been the only pup with the genes of the male she had considered her REAL father... Rogue.

Unfortunatly for her, Rogue had never accepted her and her brother; he had only taken a liking to Dusty. As she and her siblings where only six weeks old, Kiala couldn't take Rogue's bad behaviour towards her pups any longer, and she had fought him.
Rogue had left them soon after, to join the humans again... where he belonged.

Kiala had raised them on her own since then, but the pups had always remembered Rogue. Dusty and her brother had never felt much urge to find him again, but Chikara had. She had never lost the desire to make her father accept her...But she had never found a trace of him again, even though she had searched all the time.

They had grown, from pups to one year olds. And during that time, they had left their beloved mother, to find their own place in life.

That day, she had been hunting when it happend.
A scream; a roar. More screaming... the screaming of a human.
She still didn't know WHY she had came to his aid. But the moment his terrified screams had reached her ears, she had came running. And there he was... a man, alone, on the ground... shivering, bleeding, afraid for his life. And a huge bear... roaring, swiping his claws, ready to kill him.
She had jumped inbetween; she had growled, barked, snarled. She had danced around that bear, confusing it, making it follow her. And she had led him away... and had returned back to the man.

Her barking had given her away. She was sure of it.
The man had recognized the dog blood in her, somehow... and had given her some dried meat from a pouch on his belt.
From that moment, the taste of the roasted meat had confinced her to stay with him... and after the man had put some bandages on his badly scratched limbs, he had ask Chikara to follow him.
Hesitantly, she had came... and he had taken her to a strange thing on round feet.
He had asked her to hop in; humans where so easy to read, so easy to understand. She had obeyed. She didn't knew why... had it been curiousity? Or had it felt right..? Whatever it was, the man had also stepped into the strange thing. Moments later, the strange thing had began to roar, and move.

She remembered the long drive, even though she hadn't known what hit her that moment; only later, she had learned what a car was, and that this way of moving was called driving.
The man had taken her to a village, where more humans where.
She had growled at all strangers she saw, and the man had laughed about that. They had visited a hospital, where Chikara had been left in the car for a while, whilst the man had been treated for his wounds. Then, he had taken her to his home... or at least, what she had THOUGHT to be his home.
It had been a wooden building, a hunter's lair. Chikara had known what a house was; her mother had told her all about humans when she had been a pup.
It was there that the man had won her trust... and that he had truly became her master. He fed her wonderful roasted meat, and allowed her to roam around the house as much as she liked. Chikara had felt right at home. She had brought him hares and even deer to eat in return, and he had been pleased with her.

It was then that Master had given her her ''dog name'' too. He had called her Chichi, after finding out how she responded to the ''Chi''-sound. He also gave her a collar, with a strange shiny thing hanging on it. Master had called it a ''license''.

Weeks had passed. Chikara had been happy with her free live... but one day, Master took her for a drive again. She had fallen asleep on the backseat, only to wake up hours later... in a strange, new place.

Master had taken her out of the car to see her new home, the village... but had put a leash on her for the very first time. He wanted her to stay close and walk with him... learn the way in her new home.
The leash had been dreadful. She had been so unsure how to walk with so little space; she had pulled in all directions, and had even sat down, refusing to move. But Master had been stern, and had demanded her obedience.

Luckily, a big surprise had made it all worth it.

The moment she set paw outside the car, a white world greeted her.
It had been terribly cold, and there had been snow EVERYWHERE. Being only 1 years old then, it had been her second time seeing snow.
She had been so excited... she had flopped down and rolled in the snow, barked with joy... and if the leash hadn't been there, she would have ran around.
Master had laughed and had allowed her to enjoy the snow for a bit, but then, they had entered town together.

It was there that she was faced with other humans for the first time in her life. Already annoyed by the leash, Chikara had realised she couldn't flee, being held. It had made her weary and scared... and she had made the mistake to growl at them.
Master hadn't tolerated that; he had hit her hard. Surprised and hurt by this correction, she hadn't dared to growl again.

It was after meeting the village's people that she learned the difference between ''good'' people and strangers.
Every human that Master knew, was to be treated with respect. She was expected to be kind to them. But strangers where another story... Master had allowed her to growl at them. Better yet; if she did, he praised her!!

It had taught her to be weary of strangers...

Since her arrival, her days had been filled with stern training by Master. He had taught her to wear the harness, to pull a small sled, and to run... Run like the wind.
He had taught her to be a sleddog...

Time had passed since then.... And she had grown into an adult female, with a huge love for roasted meat... and her beloved Master.

---------------------------------------------------

Soft voices began to wake her up.
Chikara's ears twitched; her floppy ear turned backward slightly. Then, both ears perked as she opened her amber eyes.
"Well, I think he's nice. A good master." she nodded. "He'll treat us right. Plus, he knows our own personalities so I think we'll be okay." she said. "Although, what do you think about him?"
It was the sound of Harmony's voice.
She knew Harmony; she had remembered her from her days in the wild. She was Kami's daughter... and Harmony and Chikara had grew up together, in the same pack. She had always considered the female a friend. Never in her wildest dreams had she thought to her meet again after leaving the pack, let alone both owned by HUMANS! She had been so happily surprised and honoured to be reunited with her... she couldn't wait to renew their friendship.

She suddenly remembered where she was.
In a team with dogs... with a new human.

Her ears turned back and she sighed. She felt a little sad; she hadn't understood why Greg had ''given her away''. Little did she know she was only loaned out to the musher...
"hmm, i think he's weak and to soft, im my exsprence you need a human who is bold and desisive, strong and ferm other wise they will not act ocordingly to the siutasuion, and he shouldnt get to close to his dogs, as you dont want it clouding the fact that theres work to be done, but i guess we will see how it pans out"
That was the older male talking... She looked at him. His scars proved he had been through a lot, and frankly, she was a tiny tad weary of him. She wondered if he was a big, mean fighting machine, or a nice guy...

Well... only meeting her teammates would tell... wouldn't it.

Chikara sighed again; she finally got up. Shaking the snow from her gorgeous, fluffy fur, her amber eyes scanned her surroundings.
She then took a cautious step towards Harmony and John.

She didn't dare to interrupt; that would be rude. And thus, she softly cleared her troath, and took another step towards them.

She had her own feeling about the new human... and she was all too willing to share. She wondered if they would mind her joining the conversation.
~When darkness comes, you know I'm never far~
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 29-01-2010 17:31

((Sorry I'm late guys! I won't be posting much this weekend, it's dad's weekend, urgh, and I have an essay to write so...))

Caleb's ears twitched in his sleep, and he wrinkled his nose. He could hear voices, faint voices. He was still half asleep when one eye opened. He saw figures and licked his lips, not wanting to pull away from his warm sleep.

His jaws parted in a large yawn. Oh, the cold didn't favour the tired.
He looked up, shifting his fore paws as he watched the other sled dogs talking - young Chikara, nervously watching Harmony and John talk.

He picked up on something about the human and got to his feet, head lowered as he yawned again. He stretched, fur prickling, then shook the watery, slushy snow out of his sleek silver fur.

"Hey/b] he mumbled and padded over to Chikara, tail wagging slightly. He watched Anik, still sleeping. He'd obviously be lead dog once Caleb retired - he had amazing potential for a young dog.

He stretched again, this time his back legs, and lifted his tail before trotting over to Anik. He liked the young male, and he gave him a light nudge with his nose.
"Everyone else is awake," Caleb murmured. "Figured I should wake you before you miss all the fun."

Caleb gave a brief wag of his tail and headed back to his snow-hole. He lay down, tucking his paws under his chest, and brushed his tongue over his maw a few times before yawning again. He watched the other dogs talking. It felt good to be the lead dog of a fine team such as them, alpha even. But, there was a downside. So much was expected of him, being an efficient stud and lead dog.

But the other dogs were good, kind to each other usually. Successful sled teams needed strong bonds - strong enough to survive the cold and harshness of the enviroment and the work. Caleb's tail wagged.

A new family, a new start.

He wanted to go back to sleep, it was still dark, but wanted to stay awake with the team too. Be best if he wasn't the only dog asleep on the team.

((EDIT: Sorry, I was like... typing real fast cause I only had ten minutes, so I made some mistakes. Shoulda kept the corny moon bit in, I wouldn't have thought it was morning then. >:[ ))