Welcome on Hekaya, please read this!

Please read here so we can get off to a good start. :)
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Welcome on Hekaya, please read this!

Post by Nakisha » 11-01-2009 22:29

Welcome on Hekaya lands. The name of these lands is swahili. Hekaya means tale, fable, legend or remarkable incident.
The happenings in Hekaya lands are taking place in THESE times, modern times.

Well, tales are meant to be written here! And that's what we're going to do.

As for the Rules;

1 This is a growing forum. Rules might be added each day; it's my first forum, which means I'll have to find my way into things.

2 No trolling.

3 Do not post any illegal material: it could get you and the forum in trouble. Plus, I'll ban you perminantly. So don't even think about it. ;)

Rules regarding characters:

1. Species.
On this forum, every species excisting on earth can be RPed.
Wether you'd like to be a human or a starnosed moll, it's all fine.
The forum is RPing in modern times, so each species excisting in this world today is fine. :) You don't need my premission for unusual species, as long as they excist.

Then, another point. Keep things NATURALLY POSSIBLE. This means no hellcharacters and such.
Crossings between species are allowed as long as it's naturally possible. So if you wish to have a Liger, a cross between a lion and a tiger, that's fine. A cross between a tiger and a wolf is not; it's not possible to cross those species.
Please take the trouble to make sure the size and weight of your character is within naturally possible limits.
We will add a database for some species on this forum later.
Crosses between species can turn out to be very large, like the Liger in the example. Please do your homework and find out how large they get to be before making them.

I DO allow characters to be smaller then usual, with little restriction. I allow them to be a BIT bigger then usual. But don't overdo it.

2. Names.
When choosing a name for your character, please check if the name is already taken. You can do this by using ''search'', on top of the forum, and typing in the very name you wish to choose. If no matches come up, the name is free to use.

If you wish to use a name that is already in use, please contact the owner of the character and ask if the name can be shared. If the owner has no objections, you can use it. Please make a note that you have premission to use the name in your characters profile.

3. Colours
Do whatever you want. I encourage using your imagination here. While I like to stick to natural colours, you might want to make a neongreen character. Go ahead. Make a My-Little-Pony for all I care. ;)

4. Special features.
You want a character without invisible pupils, with really long nails, weird ears, missing limbs, strange teeth?
Go right ahead.
BUT!!
I expect everyone to keep it within limits. Don't overdo it. And I also insist that those features have the handicaps that come with it.
A character without pupils would be blind. I DO allow them to be able to notice the difference between light and dark, but that's it.
Exceptionally long nails might seem handy, but they will probably affect the way the character moves, and they also might be very fragile.
Weird ears, depending on the deformation, might be very furnable for infection, or the character might even be deaf.
Missing limbs will obviously prove to be a large handicap.
Strange teeth might sound nice, like longer fangs and such, but the longer the teeth, the more fragile they become. They will easily break. Unusual teeth can also make it hard for a character to eat and drink!

5. Fancharacters
Yes, and no. I allow you to make characters looking like excisting characters or real persons. But don't make a copy of them; we don't want SpongeBob Squarepants as itself running around. It would be too much for my nerves to take!! ;)
Please, use your IMAGINATION. Let your fantasy soar!! Be original!! :)

6. Magic.
I have not decided on the use of magic, and how far I will allow it, at this point.

7. Something special...
Do you want something really special, and do you have a good reason for it? PM me.
I will allow everyone ONE, and ONLY ONE very special character on which the rules can be bend within certain limits.
While these rules are the guidelines, I can imagine someone saying; ''But... I want.... I that allowed...?''
Unsure? PM me and ask. I encourage using your imagination, and as long as things don't get completely out of hand, I might be very flexible.
Please accept NO as NO... Understand that I need to draw a line somewhere.

RPing here

1. Godplaying.
Your character, no matter how dangerous, cannot walse around like an unbeatable killing machine. Of course, a bear can easily kill a wolf.
A big cat can easily kill a horse. But I don't allow people making their characters unbeatable.

2. Killing and death.
Killing of characters is ONLY allowed with premission of the owner of the character that will die.
As for death itself; if your character dies in one RP, you're still free to use it in others. That's fine.
Do you wish to bring your character back from the death? Fine, just make sure you have a good reason.
Like... Fluffy kills Grommit. But the owner of Grommit wants to bring him back... then say Grommit wasn't killed but very near death, and how he survived. Something like that.

3. Fighting.
Fighting on this forum will need to follow these rules:

The attack; The attack is always an ATTEMPT to hit something. You cannot auto-hit, unless you're the player of the fighting characters.

Like:
WRONG: Fluffy jumped and ripped Runner's ear off.
RIGHT: Fluffy jumped, aiming for Runner's ear, hoping to rip it off.

Be specific in fights; what is happening? Who, and where is the attacked aimed at? It's too confusing if you say:

- Fluffy attacked.

Who did Fluffy attack? Who's to response? So be clear WHO's being attacked.

Another problem:

-Fluffy attacks Runner.

Runner won't be able to responce. He doesn't know where Fluffy is attacking him. Is Fluffy aiming for his head? His rump? Where??

When fighting, keep point 1. and 2. in mind at all times!!
Point 4. will tell you more about multiple player fights.

Also; you can always give up and try to flee in a fight. Depending on the other player, you might or might not be succesful at that. But, unless you both agreed the characters can get killed, the worse they can do is beat you up pretty bad. ;)

3. Length of the post and being clear.
While I'm not going to be checking on this much, I'd like to encourage everyone to work on their RPing skills.
Don't make replies of just a few sentences... Try to get into the hide of your character, and before you know it, you'll be writing longer posts.

A good example; Post your characters thoughts in the reply. Put them in cursive text, or place the thought between marks.
Like:

*I wish I understood...*

This could be a thought. Placed between stars, it's easy to see when a character is thinking or talking.

When your character talks, make it clear. You can do this by placing the taking between marks, making the text big, ect.
Like:

''How COULD you..?!''

Writing clear and interesting replies will encourage the person you're RPing with to do the same. And furthermore, it will make the RP more entertaining!

4. Forming groups.
Some species live in groups. During RP, roleplayers may choose to form a group, like a herd, pack or pride. This is allowed!
However; don't make posts like: ''This-and-that group is looking for members''. I want groups to FORM during RP... Like, if Fluffy meets op with Poofy, and Cuty and Runner join, and the group enjoys itself a lot during the RP, THEN you can start a group.

You need no premission to start groups, but I want no fights on this forum about who's the boss (alpha, leader) of the group; you all have to figure that out yourselfs during RP. After all; if Fluffy meets Poofy, Cuty and Runner, there is no group yet; during RP, they might choose to form a group and choose a leader. Talk to each other and make decisions.
If it doesn't work out for any reason, find yourself another group.

Fights between groups (herd vs herd, pack vs pack, pride vs pride) will need to follow the FIGHTING RULES. See point 1, 2 and 3.

5. Mature RP.

Mature RP IS allowed here. As long as the RPing parties are agreed with the content, I will allow sexual content ánd voilence.
Please PM each other about wether or not mature content will be RPed, before RPing it out.

So kiddies; watch out for the ''mature'' warnings. Those mean there can be things in there you might not want to read!!

This forum expects the people joining to be mature enough to handle this; Mature warning means the content might not be suitable for minors.

You can (doesn't HAVE to) use codes to inform people what kind of mature content the RP contains:

S = Sexual content
V = Heavy voilence, blood and gore

Of course, all three can be appropriate sometimes. In that case, just adding a ''Mature'' warning would be sufficient. :)

*PLEASE NOTE!!!
HEKAYA'S RULES ARE MADE BY ME. THEREFOR, A COPYRIGHT RESTS ON THEM. IF YOU WISH TO COPY PART OF IT AND USE THESE RULES FOR YOUR OWN FORUM, PLEASE ADD A NOTE THAT THE RULES WHERE COPIED FROM HEKAYA. THANKS. :)*
~When darkness comes, you know I'm never far~