On My Own

The rough mountains of the Hekaya lands, where only the strongest will survive.
Shaydie
The Shadow Hound

Post by Shaydie » 13-07-2009 21:34

Sparrow waited for a couple of seconds before de-rooting himself from the spot and following Tamera at somewhat of a run before he reached the thin trail back; he returned to a normal walk then until they reached the other side, whereupon he caught up to her at another brisk run.

"Hey... Hey lady..! Erm... Tamera!"

Once he was at her side, the pup matched her pace.

"Hey, why are you being so nice to me, anyway? I'm not even your KIND and you're still gonna give me something to eat?"

It was a good question, and he didn't mean it as rude as it sounded. Adult wolves he had run into were either mean and wouldn't share or hovered so much and threw so many questions at him that they forgot he was hungry. So usually he just caught his own food or stole from fresh kills that had been left unsupervised for a certain amount of time. It had worked so far, that was for sure. But this cat... she'd offered him something without hesitation. Well... she HAD scared him into losing his lunch, literally, but that didn't mean that she HAD to repay him... He wondered vaguely if this was a trap or something and she'd just eat him later (but that's usually how a young male's mind goes, no matter what species he his), but he discarded that thought and focused on the question at hand.

SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 13-07-2009 22:59

Tamera felt her ears perk as Sparrow called to her. She instantly turned before saying, "Did you just call me lady?" She hadn't really seen herself as a 'lady', let alone as an adult yet, even if she was a year old. But then again, she probably looked like a lady to Sparrow because of size. Oh well, if that's what he wanted to call her! But he switched to her name as her tail flickered.

As the two of them walked together now at a peaceful pace, she was surprised when Sparrow asked why she was being nice to him. He'd brought up the fact that he was not of her kind, and didn't see the logic in giving him food. She chuckled. "Well, you're no threat to me," she commented. "And you also just look like a kid that needs something to eat. So, naturally, I'm going to help you out! After all, in return for me losing your first kill," she mentioned for a moment. She knew how first kills were. It gave you much more ... excitement and encouragement that you could catch something again and again the more you trained.

"And also, my mom would do the same thing." she said. "If she found you or something, she'd insist you come to the pride!" Tamera said. "Where I come from, my pride is very peaceful with certain wolves. And since you're not a bad wolf, you will be welcomed." she explained then.
ImageImage

Shaydie
The Shadow Hound

Post by Shaydie » 15-07-2009 06:02

Sparrow's ears flattened and he would have blushed as he looked away if his face wasn't covered in fur.

"It wasn't my first kill..."

These last words were muttered and mumbled to the point that they were considerably illegible to someone other than himself. The rabbit was not, in fact, his very first kill. His first had been a rat, which was even less filling than the small rabbit. The second had been a mouse. The rabbit was his third, which is not to say that he had gone without eating between these kills; he had been amazed by how much meat some predators left lying around after they were done eating. In any case, he left this comment alone, and listened to the rest of Tamera's case. He didn't say anything after that, and refused to meet her gaze, but after a moment he muttered something to Tamera, but what he said was more to himself than to her.

"I think my mom would have liked you..."

SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 15-07-2009 22:08

"It wasn't my first kill..."

"Oh?" Tamera commented, glancing Sparrow's way. "Then what was?" she asked rather intriguingly. Without waiting for Sparrow to answer, Tamera mentioned, "My first kill was a silly little bird." She was pretty sure it was a small little finch or something, much more smaller than whatever Sparrow had caught. Wolves seemed to have so much more easy ways of getting kill.

It seemed then he murmured to himself softly, "I think my mom would have liked you..."

"What's there not to like?" Tamera commented with a laugh. Her tail flickered behind her as her whiskers wrinkled slightly. Coming to the pride's boarders she said, "You're going to have to stick close with me, Sparrow." Tamera mentioned as they started to walk through it. "My uncle isn't really one to welcome strangers too much. We've had a few incidents with bad wolves in the past." she commented. "And since my other uncle left with half of our pride long ago, my other uncle is now the sole guard for the border." she added then as they walked.

Continuing to trudge through, Tamera glanced to Sparrow's way. "What brings you all the way out here by the way, Sparrow?" she asked.
ImageImage

Shaydie
The Shadow Hound

Post by Shaydie » 27-07-2009 20:57

Sparrow listened with limited interest to Tamera's little comment about what her first kill was, but refrained from answering her question about his. It was none of her business, really, even though he felt as if he already liked her. He swallowed, though, when she told him to stay close and mentioned that her pride had had problems with wolves... Well what a wonderful time to tell him that! He cast a wary glance around, sure that something was going to jump out and eat him before Tamera could say something. He flinched when the cat asked another question, and inwardly cursed at himself for being so jumpy.

"Well, um... I used to live with humans... not closely, but in one of their packs... And my mom taught me about how wild wolves were supposed to live... and then... the fire..."

He trailed off, hoping Tamera understood by then. He didn't like to talk about the fire... Nothing had been left but ashes. Not even the humans had survived. He sometimes felt like it was a twisted stoke of luck that he had lived through it. His mother had always said everything happens for a reason. So then why had he been spared? A blue jay crooned at them from the branch of a dead tree. Sparrow looked up at it angrilly and stuck his tongue out at it, but the bird only chirped a little laugh and fluttered ahead of them, disappearing into the mountain terrain rather too quickly for a bright blue bird.
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 27-07-2009 22:59

Tamera was suprised at how jumpy Sparrow was. She felt it was kind of cute for a kid of Sparrow's age. He explained himself then of why he was out her. She stopped in her paws with an interested look on her face. He had lived with humans? So did that mean that Sparrow was a dog? He looked 100% wolf, so maybe he was just crashing there until adulthood. But then he mentioned about his mother, teaching him the ways of the real wolves that lived without two legged protection.

At the mention of fire, Tamera gave a small sadenned look. "Oh my.. I'm sorry that happened to you... Sparrow." she said softly. Pausing, she glanced a bit ahead before back to where Sparrow was. "My mother told me that before we made our home just ahead, she and the rest of the pride were also in a situation that dealt with fire.." Tamera paused. "Fire is such a devastating element." she said with a sigh. She was about to say something else, when a blue jay suddenly crooned from above. Watching Sparrow look up at it with anger, the bird replied with a laugh and flew off into the distance. Tilting her head, Tamera looked to Sparrow.

"You speak bird?" she giggled softly. "You are a very interesting pup." she mentioned with a chuckle. "Anyways, let's continue on." she said. She was taking a few steps ahead, waiting for Sparrow to join her then, when suddenly she heard something through the bushes. Coming back to Sparrow immediately, she said, "I think you're about to see my uncle." In no time, a cat that was much more taller and bigger than Sparrow appeared, coming up to the two of them. "Tamera?" he asked. "Who's that you have there?" he asked, looking to Sparrow. "Uncle Esperado, this is my new friend Sparrow. I found him!" Tamera said jokingly. "I was taking him back to the pride so he could have a meal that's much better than the one I let him lose." she added then.

Esperado glanced from Tamera to Sparrow. Eyeing the young one, he gave a short nod. "Very well. Carry on." he still though kept an eye on Sparrow for a short while.
ImageImage

Shaydie
The Shadow Hound

Post by Shaydie » 28-07-2009 20:31

Needless to say, Sparrow half-cowered behind Tamera when she said that her uncle was probably about to appear. When he did, however, he stuck very close to his acquaintance. He could not help but stare at the bigger cat, however, and he was sure there was a look of fear and amazement combined on his face. After Tamera talked to him a bit, he seemed to calm down a bit, but he still stared at Sparrow, and the pup felt his legs wobble a little. Were all those in the pride this big? Probably, he thought, and for a moment he wondered if a good meal was worth it... But he felt his stomach gurgle softly again and he shrank even more from Tamera's uncle. He realized then that he was being rude, not introducing himself... but how was he supposed to do that? The guy was huge!
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 29-07-2009 20:07

Esperado had his eyes kept on Sparrow for quite some time, until the sudden gurgling from the pup's stomach made him widen then for a moment. Softening his gaze, Esperado suddenly let out a bit of laughter. He chuckled until he said, "You spoke truth when saying the boy needs some food." He bent down to face Sparrow face to face then. "How do you do." he said politely before rising. "Well, best not keep you guys. Go on," he said with a smile, before he walked off. Tamera meanwhile grinned, before she looked back to Sparrow.

"Sorry about that. My uncle sure takes his job seriously." she said with a tilt of her head, before she walked on. "Come on Sparrow, the pride is just ahead!" she called to him. Waiting for Sparrow to catch up, Tamera also mentioned, "What would you like to eat? We have some deer meat, rabbit, and a lot of poultry." she smiled.
ImageImage

Shaydie
The Shadow Hound

Post by Shaydie » 02-08-2009 03:17

When Tamera's uncle bent down and spoke to him, all Sparrow could do was swallow and nod a little anxiously, but when he walked off all he could think about was how nice he was when he was that huge. For a split second, he wondered what HE would do when he grew up... but he quickly discarded the thought and followed Tamera. When she spoke of the variety of food that they had, he just stared at her, his feet wandering on auto-pilot. Deer, rabbit, poultry... How could he choose?

"Er... uh... Can... Can I have a little of everything? I mean... I've never tasted deer... but... I like rabbit... and um... Sorry..."

He wasn't nervous around Tamera anymore, it was just that he didn't want to sound greedy, as hungry as he was...
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 03-08-2009 05:00

Tamera's ears perked when Sparrow wondered if he could have one of everything. Blinking, she looked Sparrow's way before she let out a laugh. "Ohh, you'll love deer!" she mentioned. "And of course you can. We've got plenty, and the more the merrier if it makes you happy." Tamera purred then. "No need to be shy Sparrow." she commented. "And no apologies neccassary!" she added then.

Making their way to the food storage, they were indeed stopped once more. This time, it was by a rather small cougar who looked more like a simple house cat! Even if his size though was rather small compared to a normal cougar's size, he still looked a bit more bulkier than house cats. "And who do we have here?" the cat asked, his whiskers twitching. Chuckling, Tamera said, "My friend, Sparrow. Sparrow, this is Zazu. He's my mother's personal attendant." Tamera told him. Zazu nodded.

"Indeed. The pleasure is all mine, my boy." he mentioned with a small dip of his head. "Tamera, later you must attend your mother's lesson. Don't be tardy." with that, Zazu gave another curt bow Sparrow's way, before taking his leave. Tamera looked to Sparrow's way. "Once you eat up, do you wanna meet the rest of the pride?" she asked with a smile. "I mean, you don't have to and such." she commented. "I mean..." she paused. "I can understand it that after your lunch you'd probably want to move on. I can understand it must feel odd to be in the presence of cougars." she said then.
ImageImage