Fate dealt me a bad hand

The rough mountains of the Hekaya lands, where only the strongest will survive.

Post by Guest » 14-07-2009 22:33

"You're kidding me." Oasis laughed sharply. Faloyn felt Lena's fur stiffen as it brushed his flank. "You want to WAIT until that cat gets near your den? Isn't that putting your little guardian in more danger?" "Perhaps it is," Faloyn murmured weakly, but Lena glared at the red-and-brown wolf. "Why not just go after it now, beat it up, and send it to the ground. Or better yet, just let me kill it like I did its mate." Faloyn was about to agree, since Oasis's plan didn't seem THAT bad, but Lena's hackles were raised as she glared scorchingly at Oasis. Faloyn could sense something terrible was coming. He longed to grab Lena and shove his tail in her mouth. They had more chance of getting killed by another adult wolf from her unwary outbursts rather than a couple of sadistic panthers.

MoonNight spoke before Lena could. "How about editing you plans a little bit, huh?" Then told Oasis, "I'd love to fight, but I'm the only one lactating at the moment and if i got hurt...well I suppose I'll take Kaya up the rocks with you kids." Faloyn was about to ask where they would bring Kaya once they were up the rocks, since the sick she-wolf couldn't stay on her paws for long.

"Right, kill it!" Lena snarled, snapping Faloyn back to attention, "There was MILK scent on that panther. It's got cubs. It can't be right for us to just take their parents away!" Faloyn studied his sister's bristling fur and bared teeth, suddenly understanding her rage. Both he and Lena were orphans. Their parents had CHOSEN to abandon them. Their lives had been scarred with the horror of it, and both of them were strongly opposed to anything of that sort. Faloyn swallowed as he remembered his terror when he realized they were alone, and the dreadful sense of helplessness as he and Lena had wandered the land, half-dead, starved, kicked aside by strange lone wolves and chased out of territory's by cruel packs.

Would they be doing the same to the cubs if Oasis decided to kill the female panther? He forced down a sudden wave of sympathy. "Lena!" he snapped, "Don't you see? If we don't kill the female panther, then she's going to nurse her cubs. If she looks after them, they grow. And do you know what they grow into? A bunch of blood-thirsty wolf-killing felines! Sharp claws and powerful jaws. And if we do kill her, we'll never have to deal with all of that. Don't you see?! It's not like we can help it. How many pups, or other small animals will die just because we decided to spare the lives of a few maligant carnivorous cats?" Lena stared at him in shock. "Still, it can't be right for us to just leave them all alone and--" "It's the ONLY choice Lena! You need to just GROW UP! You can't keep acting like a puny pup forever!" Faloyn roared, cutting her off.

Lena's shocked green eyes met his flinty blue ones and she shrank back from him. Faloyn felt a small twinge of remorse. Had he been too harsh? He never howled at her like that before. Lena backed away from him without listening to any of the others or looking at them, she spun around and raced into the woods beyond them. Faloyn stared after her, horrified. "Lena come back!" he protested, leaping to his paws. But Lena's white and gray fur had already melted into the dense leaves of the forest. Helplessly, Faloyn stared at where she had disappeared, panic rising in his throat. It was just like her to run off like that... it wasn't the first time, only HE hadn't been the one to yell at her... She's not safe in there. There's a PANTHER roaming around there! Dammit, what have I done?!
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 14-07-2009 23:36

Oasis could see that Lena had a problem with her. If it was the idea, then Oasis would just tell Lena that theirs stunk and that was it. The matter at hand was to rid of the beast. That was the mission, and that's what Oasis would do. No snot nosed brat would tell her otherwise. Although, when Lena had suddenly erupted.

"Right, kill it! There was MILK scent on that panther! It's got cubs. It can't be right for us to just take their parents away!"

Before Faloyn had begun his own little retaliation, Oasis snarled and snapped her teeth at a child. "So you think it's unfair to let another species that is against our own go unharmed? Is that what you want? It's either kill or be killed. Survive or DIE." Oasis rumbled.

"You wanna risk your guardian getting killed because you wanna save hairballs of a kind that isn't our own!? YOU want to be the one responsible for your guardian's DEATH?" Oasis snarled again.

But before she could go any farther, it was Falyon's turn to step in. It seemed that he understood more than Lena. Oasis had to admit, Faloyn seemed to be the more smarter sibling, but when he mentioned to Lena to stop acting like a little puppy, Oasis felt that in itself was a bit too far. She was about to speak, when Lena suddenly raced into the woods. Ears folding for a moment, she looked to Faloyn.

"At least you understand what can happen if we let that feline roam." she commented. "Perhaps a bit too harsh there kid.." she added then. A silence brewed, before Oasis looked to Moon. "Take this kid here, and have him lead you to where their guardian is. I'll go after that-..." she paused before giving a sigh and her tail twitched behind her. "I'll go after Lena." she glance to Faloyn. "Don't worry," she mentioned. "Even though I'm not a sucker for kids, I'll keep her safe."

With that, Oasis immediately dashed off, picking up Lena's scent and following at good pace.
ImageImage

Moon
Warrior

Post by Moon » 15-07-2009 03:13

Absentmindly MoonNight began scratching at her ears, enjoying the feel of the adrenaline slowly draining away.

"Right, kill it!" Lena snarled, snapping Faloyn back to attention, "There was MILK scent on that panther. It's got cubs. It can't be right for us to just take their parents away!"

She paused in mid-scratch, suddenly giving a deep sigh. She just wanted to get home, really, have this entire buiness over. The world was a harsh place and though it may be hard to accept it, it was kill or be killed. Though still in her hearts of hearts Moon didn't like killing a mother, she had a new persepctive now, but did the panther care about killing her? No.

MoonNight lowered her leg on a thought, rarely thinking something over before acting on it. However before she could open her yap Faloyn poured out a sudden speech/rant and drowned out any words Moon had for the the kids and Oasis. But Lena would never take such harsh words standing still, dissappearing into the dense woods before anyone could go after her, another sigh emitted from the brindled wolffess. It was a LONG morning. And she hadn't even had her coffee yet.

"Take this kid here, and have him lead you to where their guardian is. I'll go after that-..." "I'll go after Lena." she glance to Faloyn. "Don't worry," "Even though I'm not a sucker for kids, I'll keep her safe."

"Damnit." she cursed under her breath, muzzle wrinkling in anger again. "Fine, fine..." Moon rose to her paws and glanced over at Faloyn, 'You want a ride? If you fall off thoose rocks I can't gurantee I'll catch ya'." Oasis was gone at the point, vanished into the woods just as quickly as Lena.

Let this good deed not go unpunished.

Post by Guest » 15-07-2009 05:47

"At least you understand what can happen if we let that feline roam." Oasis growled at last, after a long moment of watching Lena flee. Faloyn twitched his ears at her in response, but he was hardly listening. Guilt tore at his insides like savage badger teeth. He felt as though there were a heavy cold stone weighing down his belly. How could he have said that to her? How could he have been so plain mean?! He sounded almost like Oasis! But what was worse, was that HE of all creatures had to say that to her. What was he thinking?!

"Perhaps a bit too harsh there kid.." Oasis put in, after a moment of hesitation. Faloyn's tail thumped on the ground and he remained silent. Even though Oasis and MoonNight had saved his life, and Lena's too, he suddenly felt almost afraid of them. It was a feeling of... aloness. It felt like a piece of him were missing. He suddenly realized how much more confident he was when he was with Lena. Now that she was gone, he felt like a lost puppy, alone in the woods. No. He was more of a pup than she was. Worse. He was a coward. Afraid of being alone with wolves that had saved his life.

As the silence stretched out, unexpectedly, Oasis shattered it with a few brisk words, shoving Faloyn toward MoonNight. "Take this kid here, and have him lead you to where their guardian is. I'll go after that-..." she threw Faloyn a quick glance, who flattened his ears at her slightly. She sighed at last, and growled, "I'll go after Lena." she mumbled. "Don't worry, Even though I'm not a sucker for kids, I'll keep her safe." Oasis added, sensing Faloyn's slight distrust.

He turned away from her, still unspeaking. Oasis leaped off, following Lena's scent. Still numb to the core, he scrambled onto MoonNight's back, perched upon her shoulders, too remorseful to care where the femme would bring him.

~Lena~

Deeper and deeper did Lena race into the forest, her heart pounding in her throat, her breath coming in ragged gasps. Never had Faloyn yelled at her like that before. She always felt comfortable with him... until now. A vast whirlpool of hurt and betrayal spun deep in her heart, and as sorrow and anger washed over every other emotion, she only ran harder and faster than she had ever done in her life. Her paws a flying silver blur she pounded on.

At last, coming to her senses, gasping for breath, she halted, and realized how close she was to Kaya's den. Remembering the panther, she thought of another alternative plan. One that she could pull off herself. She instantly knew that the idea was stupid. So very stupid, and dangerous. But she had no choice. She would go up to the panther, and die. That was what. Sniffing the air warily, she almost instantly found the female's scent and weaved through the trees, panting and sniffing, only able to manage a tired trot after her furious dash through the woods.

A sudden flash of fur in front of her made her ears twitch and her tail crick in surprise. She had found it so quickly? Cat-scent filled her nostrils. Shaking her head wearily, she padded closer, and her throat tightened as she noted that the cat was indeed heading toward the arched rock crevice of Kaya's den. It sauntered through the woods, its paws rising and falling across the forest floor with unnatural grace. Without thinking, Lena trotted up behind it and cried, "Panther! How can you do this?!" The large cat whipped around, yellow eyes scanning the dense undergrowth to see who had interrupted her skulking.

Seeing Lena, the panther sat down heavily. It let out a small growl. "Do what, young wolf?" the words were almost a purr, a strange accent, but understandable. Lena swallowed her anger, she had to maintain control here. Faloyn's cruel words mingled with Oasis's burned in her mind. "How can you just go and... kill! Kaya is helpless! How can you murder her in cold-blood? What did she ever do?" "I do not understand what you are saying, young wolfess. Who is Kaya? Who am I murdering?" the panther rumbled. Lena felt a rush of surprise, mingling with suspicion.

"You are going to kill her! I know it! Kaya, the wolf around here..." The panther stared. "I honestly do not know, young un. I have no plans to kill today. I am heading for my cubs. They are in a ledge just above your den here. I do not know what you mean with your talk of 'cold-blooded murder'." Embarassed, Lena muttered an apology for jumping to conclusions. Then asked curiously, "So, was that male panther your mate?" "Yes," sighed the panther, "What did he do? One of the wolves that were with you looked a lot like one of the members of this gang of wolves; two males and a female. They always prey on us, attack as and hurt us ruthlessly. They are... MURDERS. We never hurt them! When we saw you and your bro, we that that that gang must've had cubs. He said to go check on our cubs to ensure that they were still safe, and that if the female wolf was alone, the other males would be still roaming around. Before I left I saw him attack. Then I ran off and realized that the scent of the wolfess with you wasn't quite the same as the one in the small pack of three. But still, its about time I checked on the cubs... where is he, my mate? Do you know?"

The female panther sounded exhausted.
A lump formed in Lena's throat. When she opened her mouth, no sound came out. At last, she managed to whisper hoarsely, "He's dead... I'm so sorry." Horror filled the panther's eyes. She drew herself up, fur bristling, teeth bared, a terrible roar shook the air. Lena backed away, terrified, her ears ringing as the panther reared above her, its eyes filled with desperate rage and grief.
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 15-07-2009 22:31

Oasis had been through the forest, going deeper and deeper as she was hot on Lena's trail. It was true that Oasis wasn't too fond of this simple goose chase. Why did that stupid girl have to go run off, instead of facing her brother's insult like a man.. . . . like a grown woman? Snarling to herself, she had to wonder why Lena took the benefit of the doubt. Why she was so . . . selfless. What was the deal? Didn't she want to live another day, instead of possibly die because of trying to protect an animal that was not of their own kind?

As Oasis continued onward, she looked side to side. The scent of Lena was growing stronger with each pawstep, but so was something else. A scent well familiar to her. It was feline, and it must have been the mate of the dead panther back in the field.. Suddenly, Oasis could hear words. They were coming from a small, short distance. One of them sounded rather nervous while the other was calm and distant. It was unnative tongue for Oasis, but all she knew was that it was feline, and that Lena was in danger.

Picking up her pace, Oasis arrived at the scene. She saw Lena apologize. Lena was apologizing to this cat!? For WHAT!? It attacked them, why apologize to it? What was the damned logic! Snarling, Oasis already began to charge. The cat immediately drew herself upwards, a roar shook the air as birds in the trees already flew away as a signal of danger. Oasis continued to come foward, before she instantly leapt in the air. She came between Lena and the panther, headbutting herself before staring at Lena. "What the hell are you doin'!? Get outta here!" Oasis growled before looking at the panther. "If you're gunna try and hurt this kid, you got another thing comin'." Oasis snarled. "You must be that panther's partner. Guess you heard he's gone right?" Oasis commented. She sneered slightly. "Don't blame it on this furball. I'm your mate's killer." Oasis roared before letting out a howl. She hoped Moonnight and Faloyn would join Lena, and get Kaya away from this place. Things were going to get hairy.
ImageImage

Moon
Warrior

Post by Moon » 16-07-2009 09:11

Faloyn didn't say a word as he climbed onto her shoulders, still upset she figured, but at least he wasn't blubbering. She'd had made him walk.
Her gait began as a rocky trot, designed more for endurance then anything, Moon took him out of the valley, leaving behind Lena to Oasis. A sigh left her jaws as she did.

The wind was all that spoke for a while at least. "You know...it was a good thing she heard from you rather then someone else." "She'll forgive you ya' know, you're her brother. Blood runs thick." Moon slowed and turned her head back to look at the pup, just as quickly pulling away and continuing as silent as she had been. She had been able to forgive her parents, though things were still tense between her and her mother, Faloyn had know Lena all his life, to her few words could damage a relationship as strong as their's.

Slowly MoonNight began climbling the rocky ridges, using her powerful legs to leap onto boulders and over again, avoiding sharp rocks. For the kid it must have been a roller coaster ride. "Start giving directions." she panted, coming to a halt atop a flat boulder that veiwed a good portion of the mountians.

Post by Guest » 18-07-2009 05:52

There was a long silence as MoonNight trotted steadily up the rocks. "You know...it was a good thing she heard from you rather then someone else." MoonNight spoke after she gave a long sigh. "She'll forgive you ya' know, you're her brother. Blood runs thick." Faloyn heaved a sigh of his own. "I guess you're right. But still, I really hated having to say that to her, I never shouted at her like that before..." He let his voice trail off. MoonNight probably wound't appreciate it if he started blabbering.

"Start giving directions." MoonNight demanded, panting, climbing onto a flat rock where Faloyn could see most of the land in the valley.
"To the east, there's this rocky ledge above the den... See that pale hunk of stone over there?" he gestured with a paw. Desperately, in his heart, he hoped that Lena would keep out of trouble, and that Oasis would find her before she did something rash.

~Lena~

Blood roared in her ears as she stared up in shock and alarm as the panther wailed its lament to the sky. She fought the urge to cover her ears with her paws, her muscles tightened in preparation to run, yet her limbs were locked in place, frozen with shock. Just then, a familiar brown-red body exploded out of the bushes, snarling. Oasis! "What the hell are you doin'!? Get outta here!" Oasis growled at Lena, who backed away, startled by the femme's sudden appearance.

"If you're gunna try and hurt this kid, you got another thing comin'." Oasis snarled, flicking her eyes to the panther, who dropped back down to four paws, her tail lashed at her claws flexed on the hard ground. "You must be that panther's partner. Guess you heard he's gone right?" she sneered. The panther stiffened, and a low growl rumbled in the satin-furred cat. As it swung its head down, Lena was suddenly aware of tufts of fur sticking off the panther's nose, and that her breath smelled strongly of a strange type of fish, sardines perhaps? "Don't blame it on this furball. I'm your mate's killer." Oasis, continued, letting out a howl, a challenge to the panther. The panther's ocher eyes flicked toward Oasis, then rumbled in a low voice. "I wouldn't have blamed the pup. She is young, and therefore harmless to me and my cubs. But, I will not fight. No more blood shall be spilled today, and if any, it will be yours. But no, no more throat-tearing, fur-ripping, flesh-biting. I have had enough of battle heat for a day! I will seek revenge in some other way!" with a roar of fury, the great cat bunched its muscles and sprang agiley away. Lena was amazed at how far it travelled in one single effortless leap.

The cat sprang on top of Kaya's den, Lena's heart clenched as she wondered if the panther decided to kill Kaya as revenge, but the panther continued upward, springing up onto a small ledge before clawing her way up and vanishing in the rocks above. Lena stood shock-still, completely confused, she glanced at Oasis. Would the red-brown wolfess chase after the panther, even up so high into the rocks?
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 20-07-2009 02:17

Oasis could hardly believe she was talking to this feline. What the hell gave her any reason to, hell, why should Oasis listen to this overgrown piece of meat in the first place? Teeth grit, Oasis said, "I think it is the opposite way! Your blood shall be shed, and I shall stay unharmed." Oasis laughed. "There isn't any way I could believe a feline such as yourself would be able to kill someone like me." she seethed, overconfidence alread riding her judgement.

What made this cat so different compared to the rest? It was almost impossible. These felines having minds of their own, like her own kind. But wolves were different. They were smarter, faster, stronger. What made this cat think she were any different from her own kind? Totally idiotic is what Oasis believed.

She watched as the cat suddenly sprang away, leaping off before seeing it perch above the den that belonged to Kaya's. Snarling lowly, Oasis said, "I see you nothing more than a threat! If I allow you, or your children to live, then I will risk the harm of my own kind!..." Oasis roared as she watched the panther slinker off. "Mark my words you feline, as long as I am here, there is only room for either of us! I'll make sure of it." she murmured the last sentence. It was more like a challenge that Oasis had already forming in the back of her mind. A challenge that she would keep, and want to uphold. She wondered if the mother panther would agree, or even try to kill her. Then the two would see for the future of the cubs...

Deciding now was not the time, Oasis then looked to Lena. "What the heck made you think you should go off and run like that you little hairball?" Oasis asked. She didn't have a way of showing it for words, but she did care enough at least to know what possessed Lena to go off like that, away from her protection and her brother. "If this has anything t'do with what your bro said to ya, just suck it up and move on." Oasis said.

"Besides, it's not like you should keep it to heart." Oasis commented. "Siblings say stuff to piss each other off, but that's only cuz theyr'e mad, or scared, or they're just trying to protect you." Oasis said, looking to Lena. "It's not like they mean it though. It's in the heat of the moment. It's a bluff, it's fake. So just deal with it and make up already." Oasis huffed then, before she glanced away from Lena. She sure was harsh around this kid, but she was making her own point known.

She glanced to the den below where the panther was. "It isn't safe at all for your guardian to be living her. We're going to need to move your entire family to another area, or else there will be blood shed tonight..." Oasis said quietly. She already began to pad away to where Kaya lay. "C'mon, we might as well get a head start."
ImageImage

Moon
Warrior

Post by Moon » 21-07-2009 02:04

"I guess you're right. But still, I really hated having to say that to her, I never shouted at her like that before..."

The brindled wolffess nodded her head in silent recognition of the boy's reply, she was beginning to tire and didn't figure anything that she could say wouldn't be particulary helpful to what had happened between the two siblings. Her only job was getting herself and Faloyn up the rocks and get Kaya away from the den where a panther could be lurking waiting for the chance to spring on a weak wolf.

"To the east, there's this rocky ledge above the den... See that pale hunk of stone over there?"

She groaned at the vague description, squinting her cobalt eyes to look east at the landscape for the aformentioned rock. Her eyes flew open as she spotted it, suddenly a black shape moved over the ledge. Instantly a snarl erupted from her throat, heaving her body forward without regard for Faloyn and springing away from the boulder she had been resting on.

The panther was long gone by the time Moon arrived at the foot of the rocky den, cheast and shoulders falling as she gasped for breath. Badly winded she lowered herself slowly, splaid out and half-alert for the return of the panther. "G-get offf! Go...find...Kaya..." she panted, shaking her shoulders to add to the command.

Post by Guest » 22-07-2009 22:08

Oasis called challenges out after the Panther, then turned to Lena. She braced herself for a lecture, and sure enough, a long one came. "What the heck made you think you should go off and run like that you little hairball?" Lena glared at her. "What made you come after me?" But Oasis didn't seem to hear, and continued, "If this has anything t'do with what your bro said to ya, just suck it up and move on." Lena already knew Oasis wasn't the kind to decorate words with kind phrases and small things, she was just a plainly straight forward wolf.

Shrugging, Lena turned away, but Oasis wasn't finished. "Besides, it's not like you should keep it to heart. Siblings say stuff to piss each other off, but that's only cuz theyr'e mad, or scared, or they're just trying to protect you." Protect me? Lena let swung around, staring at Oasis, not quite understanding. How would yelling at her protect her? If anything... Lena struggled to admit it, then Faloyn barking at her like that had only made her put herself in more danger. If Oasis hadn't come, the Panther would possibly have trampled her into a scrap of fur.

"It's not like they mean it though. It's in the heat of the moment. It's a bluff, it's fake. So just deal with it and make up already." Taking one look in Oasis's eyes, Lena decided at that moment to save her arguments for something more important. She shrugged again. "Fine," she growled curtly. Oasis switched her eyes to Kaya's den. "It isn't safe at all for your guardian to be living her. We're going to need to move your entire family to another area, or else there will be blood shed tonight..." A shiver ran down Lena's spine and her eyes brightened, but not with fear. Excitement coursed through her at Oasis's words. Bloodshed. So that meant that Oasis WAS going after the Panther? Lena could feel her fur stiffen and the blood stir in her veins. She loved excitement like that... it was too bad she had to go with the others to escape the panther while Oasis had all the fun.

For not the first time, Lena wished she were older and stronger as she followed Oasis toward the den. If she was bigger, she wouldn't have to evacuate and hide like a frightened rabbit along with everyone else. Then she would be able to fight and have some REAL fun. Her tail drooped. But she was still a pup. It would be a while before she would REALLY grow into an adult wolf... Just then, a familiar, but breathless voice drifted through the trees. "G-get offf! Go...find...Kaya..." MoonNight sounded winded. Without waiting, Lena sprang through the trees and bounded toward MoonNight, she saw Faloyn slip off MoonNight's back and hurry into Kaya's cave.

Nervousness prickled at Lena's fur. Would her brother still be in a foul mood? Well, she was about to find out. She nodded at the panting MoonNight, she must've run quite far for her sides heaved and her tongue lolled as she gasped for breath. Wordlessly, Lena crept into the dimly lit cave, following Faloyn. At the sound of her pawsteps, Faloyn whipped around, seeing it was Lena his eyes widened. "Lena! I'm so sorry I just--" Lena swept her gray-white tail over her brother's mouth. "Its okay, Fal." Oasis's talk with her was still fresh in her mind. Relief clouded Faloyn's eyes and he gave his sister's shoulder a few gentle licks. Lena butted him with her muzzle, "Come on, lets get Kaya out, theres still a panther around here." Faloyn nodded grimly, "I know, MoonNight and I saw." They stared at each other, Lena's emerald green eyes burning into Faloyn's azure blue ones for a moment, then they both took a deep breath and stepped into the chamber of the cave that held Kaya.

Faint, labored, faltering breaths seemed to fill the cave as Lena and Faloyn peered around the bend and saw Kaya's matted flank rising and falling unevenly. Her head was resting heavily on the ground, her eyes closed, her tongue hanging limply out, her mouth flecked with foam. Lena's throat tightened as she saw her adopted parent's condition. Kaya's eyes opened slowly as the two pups neared. "Ah... Faloyn? Lena? ... Are you... both alright...? Catch any..thing?" her words were slow, and her sides heaved at the effort of talking. "Shhh..." Faloyn gently touched Kaya's shoulder with his tail and nudged Lena, who went around the sick wolfess. "We... met some new friends, Kaya. We have to...we're gonna have to..." "We're going to have to move," Lena finished for her brother, glancing at him. He eyed her, looking relieved she had finished the sentance. "Leave?... You both know... I'm just too old... too weak..."

"We're not leaving unless you do, Kaya. There's a panther living above us, so we should relocate... but we're not going anywhere unless you come with us." Lena burst out. In the corner of her eye, she saw Faloyn wince, but he didn't counter her. Kaya's eyes drifted shut. "I... can't... too weak... this sickness has taken its toll. I will stay here and die... but you two." Her eye suddenly flashed open, "You BOTH must escape... even if... I don't make it... Please, Lena... Fal...oyn. For me..." Faloyn eyed his sister meaningfully. Lean nodded and swiftly, both of them dipped their heads and picked up Kaya, gently shoving her to her paws. The elderly femme wobbled, but the siblings held her on her paws, suporting her on both sides was no difficulty. Kaya had not eaten, she had refused to eat for many days, and was no heavier than they were. Her shabby fur hung raggedly from her bony frame, her ribs sharp beneath her ragged, matted dirty once-soft and clean pelt. Lena felt Kaya shudder as they stepped into the sunlight, and Kaya squinted in the light, her paws limp, hardly moving as the two puppies half-dragged half-supported the faltering frame. They wordlessly stood there in front of Oasis and MoonNight, waiting for what the two adults would do next. Kaya gave no sign she noticed the other wolves, her head lolling limply to the side, hardly conscious.