Moonlit Caldera (Open to all)

The rough mountains of the Hekaya lands, where only the strongest will survive.
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 13-01-2011 00:08

"Were you watching me?"

At that moment Umbra had actually toned out the world around him, lost inside himself. It was a habit of his when he had a moment's reprieve of a long string of tumultuous events. He let his mind go blank, not really thinking about anything and allowing himself to drift away and relax while still awake, but her words brought him back to reality. He smiled faintly.

"Watching over you" He replied, just because they hadn't seen or smelled any predators didn't mean there weren't any around, and while he didn't expect her to come to harm should he have left he would never have forgiven himself. Plus, it was rude for him to wander off after agreeing to explore with her today. He couldn't imagine how hurt he would feel if someone promised him something and then left as soon as they could, and he would not do it to another.

"It's like we've found a paradise here" He murmured, half to himself. Part of him wanted to stay here, if the island held prey as he suspected, or there were other sources perhaps on the other side of the lake, it would be an easy life with no predators, but likely not many wolves either. He didn't want to be alone, but neither did he wish to be some sort of alpha, even though he knew he had the strength to do so. He stared off into the distance, seemingly lost in thought again.

He pulled himself back, however, and moved off towards the lake before turning back to her. "Are you hungry miss Indiana?" He asked, flicking his tail to the island, his words having a double meaning, hungry for food or hungry for adventure.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 13-01-2011 00:24

Mak wrote:
"Watching over you"
Indi smirked, her tail wagging briefly as she padded over to him.
"I see..." she purred. Indi was a total sarcastic tease, and she knew it. But she let her gaze linger on him just that little bit longer, just to enhance the possibility that she may just have been flirting with him. 
She stretched once more, yawning widely and sniffing around the ground a bit before returning to watching Umbra. Cue her turn to observe him.

"It's like we've found a paradise here"
Indi caught his quiet words, which sounded almost like a comment to himself, but she answered anyway.
"Yes, it is quite nice here," she murmured, a smiling twitching at her mouth as she thoughtfully gaze out at the shimmering, glassy lake. Her eyes drifted to the island, and she felt a spark of adrenaline rush through her, making her spine tingle. One of these days, she'd endanger herself with her escapades...
He pulled himself back, however, and moved off towards the lake before turning back to her. "Are you hungry miss Indiana?" He asked, flicking his tail to the island, his words having a double meaning, hungry for food or hungry for adventure.
Indi hadn't been aware that Umbra was moving away until he spoke to her on his way towards the lake, his voice interrupting her train of thoughts. She shook her head to clear it and smiled warmly at him.
"Starving," she answered, her belly giving a little growl as if to prove a point. She hadn't realised quite how hungry she was until the rumbling of her stomach reminded her of the empty pit at the bottom of it. 
She felt her cheeks burn under her fur and she trotted to Umbra's side, tail wagging enthusiastically. 
She was looking forward to the day ahead. 
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 13-01-2011 02:50

"I see..."

Umbra was caught off guard with her borderline seduction, his golden eyes lingering on her sky blue ones. No one had looked at him like that, and it made him uncomfortable. Two and a half years and he hadn't found anybody who could make him lost for words. He shook himself, she coudn't be serious, not after knowing him for less than a day.

"Yes, it is quite nice here,"

He wondered what brought her to such a far out place. Umbra never thought of mountains as a natural home for wolves. Of course, he had always grown up in a forest bordering the plains. Still, he hadn't seen any fellow wolves in the three days of his mountain hike.

"Starving,"

She trotted up to him and they walked side by side along the water towards the stepping stones, but as they did so Umbra had a sly idea, very strange for him who was all about being polite. He decided to gauge if her earlier flirtatious behavior was a front or the real thing. He put his side against hers and pushed a little bit so she would stumble close to the water but not enough so she would fall in. The first signs of 'play' he'd ever exhibited.

(Fail post is fail, sorry)
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 14-01-2011 23:10

(It's not fail! D:< )

Indi followed Umbra down to the water's edge, wagging her tail slightly as she watched the rising sun tint the water pastel shades of blue, light pink and a shimmering white. She smiled inwardly before lowering her muzzle to the water's edge, her tongue darting out to drink. She lifted her head to stare at Umbra, head tilted slightly to the side as she ran her tongue over her mouth to lick off the droplets.
He put his side against hers and pushed a little bit so she would stumble close to the water but not enough so she would fall in. The first signs of 'play' he'd ever exhibited.
Indi frowned slightly as he put his side against her's, then smirked as he gave her a light shove.
She danced out of the water as she felt its cold touch against the pads of her feet, lowering her head and growling playfully, her tail wagging and holding herself in the play-bow posture.
"Want to dance, hmm?" She teased, a devious sparkle in her eyes. He wasn't such bad company after all...at least he appeared to know how to have fun.

She took the opportunity to take him in better - this was the first time she'd gotten a proper look at him. He had a coat that was a mixture of blues, was well proportioned and had golden eyes...over all, not too bad...

Indi shook her head to clear it, giving a cheeky little wolf grin as she wagged her tail at Umbra again.

(AFGADS MINE IS FAIL. It's really hard to write when it's ten o'clock and your dad is sat right beside you... ¬_¬ )
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 15-01-2011 00:06

(lol, sympathies)

"Want to dance, hmm?"

She hunkered down and wagged her tail, causing Umbra to give a sly smile. He dropped his stance lower as well, still not caught on the idea of having fun yet, but he mirrored Indi and wagged his tail as well. The strange thing was, Umbra was taking this completely seriously despite his demeanor. He made false jabs left and feinted right, play growls spewing from his throat sounding almost like laughter, still thinking as if this was a battle, where was his guard open? Where could she escape? But he had no intention of actually hurting anyone, he never had any intention of hurting anyone.

He jumped to her side, his feet sending splashes up indiscriminately, getting himself wet as much as his indigo companion before turning and dashing towards the stepping stone banks towards the island, not at full speed, waiting for her to catch up but staying teasingly out of reach with his longer legs.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 15-01-2011 14:12

Mak wrote:He jumped to her side, his feet sending splashes up indiscriminately, getting himself wet as much as his indigo companion before turning and dashing towards the stepping stone banks towards the island, not at full speed, waiting for her to catch up but staying teasingly out of reach with his longer legs.
Indi barked in surprise as the water splashed at her, and she growled playfully, going to cuff him gently over the head however he moved away too quickly.

A chase?

She laughed to herself, taking off after him with her mouth gaping and tongue hanging out.
They were heading for the stepping stones to the island, Umbra ahead of her and Indi gradually catching up. He had the advantage of a head start and longer legs but she still managed to return to his side, panting slightly.

She nudged him playfully as she ran beside him, eventually skidding to a halt and stretching.

"Are we heading over to the island today then, or what?" Indi smiled, wagging her tail enthusiastically. She paused to catch her breath and stare out at the dark, glittering water. Above the lake, birds were dipping down to catch the flies along the surface of the water. In the surrounding trees she could hear the song birds spinning their choruses with their sweet little voices.

She smiled to herself. She get used to this place...if only there was guarantee of food.
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 15-01-2011 19:07

She used all her strength to catch up to him and nudged him playfully before she slowed and stopped, and Umbra followed suit, panting heavily but not truly out of breath. He felt bad, he didn't intend to wear her out at all, yet alone so early. He trotted back, an apologetic look on his face as she stretched. Umbra yawned, he couldn't help it, he supposed he hadn't woken up fully until that run.

"Are we heading over to the island today then, or what?"

She didn't seem upset though, it seemed Indi was made of tougher stuff than he'd anticipated. He was never a good judge at strength, ever since he was young he'd been taught by the best, the only gauge of strength that mattered was how much stronger he was than his opponent, and back then everyone was an opponent. Indi was not, she was a companion. Hopefully a friend.

"Of course, let us be off" He said as he moved over to her side, but as they walked Umbra caught something out of the side of his eye, the glint of the sun off of a little stone that hung around Indiana's neck. It was almost the same shade of magenta as her silky coat. Umbra brushed it with his nose, "Treasure from an old adventure?" He asked. He was completely perplexed by it. Wolves didn't wear anything other than their fur to the best of his knowledge. He heard of humans in stories, mostly to scare pups into being obedient, but he had no idea what a human looked like or what they might wear or make. Umbra didn't know the necklace was human made, he just knew it was foreign and he was curious. It was very pretty.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 16-01-2011 00:26

Mak wrote:"Of course, let us be off"
Indi smiled enthusiastically, padding to the lake's edge until her paws were just in the cool water, and she lowered her muzzle to drink again. The water up in the caldera was so much fresher and purer than those further down...perhaps it was because it was fed by the mountain springs?

Indi shrugged to herself. It didn't matter why it was good, just that it was.

She lifted her head again, wagging her tail at Umbra. She felt her cheeks burn under her fur in embarassment...she was wagging her tail an awful lot around him.
Umbra brushed it with his nose, "Treasure from an old adventure?" He asked.
Indi snarled defensively as the blue male's nose nudged the stone of her necklace, and she stepped away, ears flattened and eyes narrowed.
The growl in her throat wasn't aggressive, it was a warning.
She watched him for a moment before the rumbling threat in her throat died down and she perked her ears, head dipped slightly.
"Sorry," she muttered. "It just...means a lot to me. And it's getting fragile now so...y'know..?"

She glanced down at the jewel stone hanging from the string around her neck, and she wagged her tail apologetically at Umbra.

Again, with the wagging!

"My father gave it to me," she explained as she started to lead the way to the stepping stones, glancing over her shoulder. "He was like me; a hoarder. He went out on adventures and brought back...treasure for me and my family."

She boldly took a step onto the first stone - frowning at the slipperiness of the algae and weeds clinging to the surface of it.
"Watch your step," she cautioned and moved to the second stone to allow Umbra to follow her.
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 16-01-2011 00:52

Umbra's whole body tensed at her reaction, completely baffled by her sudden change of demeanor, yet he managed to steel himself and not back away or react in a way that might provoke her further through sheer strength of will despite his training and reactions. He did however move his head from the pendant, being the center of her unease. Umbra was glad when she relaxed realizing he meant no harm by his actions.

"Sorry, it just...means a lot to me. And it's getting fragile now so...y'know..?"

"No need to apologize, I understand" And he did, some wolves had attachments to other wolves, some had attachments to ideas like honor and glory or power, while some held attachments to items, and while Umbra didn't understand the latter he definitely wouldn't question it.

"My father gave it to me, he was like me; a hoarder. He went out on adventures and brought back...treasure for me and my family."

The term hoarder didn't mean much to Umbra, but her explanation made him think of his father, Aoule, and his elder brother Tournesol...they hoarded females and pups, but he highly doubted Indi or her father were like that, after all items didn't have feelings. "And you treasure it because it reminds you of them? You miss your family?" He asked, wondering what it would feel like to have someone care about him, having a loving mother or father. In the end Umbra's father was very proud of him, but proud of his strength, his fighting skills, and not for Umbra himself. He valued Umbra's fangs, not Umbra.

"Watch your step,"

Umbra glanced at the rocks, they weren't too far apart, but one wrong step could be disastrous. Umbra, never being a conventional wolf, bypassed the danger altogether and completely submerged himself in the water and paddled to the next rock, turning to rest his front paws on solid footing. "You could always swim" He offered, knowing full well that not all wolves in fact could. It was part of his training, he remembered the first raid on an enemy pack using the water to hide their scent. He was not a stranger to water, but he did acknowledge that this way would be a little more tiring for the constant moving of the paws to keep afloat.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 16-01-2011 01:05

Mak wrote: "And you treasure it because it reminds you of them? You miss your family?"
Indi stopped and flashed a smile at him over her shoulder, but hidden behind her confident, happy expression, her heart ached. She wouldn't admit it to another living being, but yes, she did miss her family - especially her father.

"I left on my own accord, looking for my own adventures," Indi answered, turning back around to jump to the next rock, grunting with surprise as she felt her paws slip on the rock upon landing - luckily, she didn't fall.
"My necklace was something I recieved as a youngster, and I wouldn't leave without it. It just...makes me feel like there's always a part of my family with me."

Indi lowered her voice towards the end, silent for a moment as she stepped onto the next rock. They weren't too far apart, though some she did have to jump to reach.
"Me and my father were extremely close," Indi muttered, unsure if Umbra could har her or not. "He asked me to stay...so I left. He was forcing himself to say it, so I know he really wanted me to go out and start my own life - and I did just that."
Indi paused again to turn and address Umbra. "What about you? Were you close to your dad?"

She remembered how he'd introduced himself, and started to wonder how exactly he did feel about this Aoule guy.

Indi turned back around again, growling to herself as she slid on the side of a rock as she stretched out to reach the next.
"You could always swim".
Indi laughed. "It would probably be easier," she agreed, but as she stared down at the cold water, she decided she'd wait until she fell in before she got herself thoroughly soaked.