Moonlit Caldera (Open to all)

The rough mountains of the Hekaya lands, where only the strongest will survive.
Mak
Pup

Moonlit Caldera (Open to all)

Post by Mak » 03-01-2011 03:39

Three days. Three rotten, horrible days of the worst luck one can imagine. It started when he was chased out of a pack at the base of a mountain for one reason- Lord Aoule, scourge of the forest, demon of Virulence, Red Death and Umbra's father. Despite keeping out of the spotlight as much as he could, his reputation preceded him and the patrols tried to kill him on sight, before he could even make his case. Umbra could've easily fought and won should he had so desired, even being outnumbered as he was but that would hardly help his situation, so he fled into the mountains. He was not like his father, he was not a savage brute, quite the opposite- it seemed nobody knew he was the one who betrayed his Alpha to save the lives of unsuspecting pack wolves who were bold enough to be within a day's distance of Aoule's borders, of course the idea that he betrayed the alpha, for whatever reason, might not shine to kindly upon him. He had traveled far to try to escape the stigma of his family, but not yet far enough.

He trotted all the next day up the mountain, gaining elevation in the hopes that no one would know him across the mountain range, but when he saw the path to the next mountain he had decided against it. He had not met a single soul up these parts, and it was so relaxing to be up this high. He had found a small outcropping where he could survey the land from whence he came, and he recognized the far-off landmark that signified the center of Lord Aoule's land- a large weeping willow near a winding river. It was so far away, a little more than a speck. He liked it here, it was peaceful. He could smell the scent of prey, food wouldn't have been a problem, but he hadn't noticed these lands had been claimed not by wolves, but by two large mountain lions, a mated pair, and Umbra again had to hightail it out of there as quickly as he could. Wolves weren't meant to challenge the greater cats, and while Umbra was confident in his abilities, he didn't want to push his luck without just cause.

Further up the mountain he went, and the trees got sparser as did the prey. The path was steep, challenging. He had cut his paw pads on several occasions, leaving faint blood smears. Now, on the evening of the third day, the full moon shining its glorious silver light upon the land, tinging the mountainside in an eerie glow, Umbra decided to call it a night, he'd find something in the morning. But then a faint smell carried itself on the breeze, he was on the leeward side of the mountain, wind was rare, but rain was not. The small amount of luck he had been afforded these past days was clear skies, yet the wind smelled of water yet there seemed to be no moisture in the air. Umbra pushed himself onwards once again, and as he crested a small rise, his heard soared.

Before him lay a beautiful sight, a little paradise hidden in the harsh climate of the mountain. There was a massive indent in the mountain, a caldera surrounded by a lush green forest on all sides of the bowl, and a lake as smooth as glass in the center, the moonlight reflecting its image to Umbra's optics. At the center of this large pool sat a quaint island, with its own forest. Umbra, his weariness forgotten and his spirits lifted, made a mad dash through the dark trees, tongue lolling out to the side as he crashed under over and through underbrush, feeling the rush of the air through his fur, the exhilaration of the hunt, despite chasing no prey but the promise of a drink.

He skidded to a halt as he passed the last line of trees and the lightly dew-swept grass gave way to soft sand before the lake. This was like no body of water he had ever seen, so still he could see his reflection perfectly- no ebb and flow of tides even! He bent down and lapped at the luscious life-giving liquid, soothing is parched throat and refreshing him like no prey ever could. When he had his fill Umbra lifted his head and glanced into the now-rippling water, the water dripping from his fur causing even more disturbance. His coat was as full as ever, the dark shades of smoky purple making him hard to see in the dim light, he almost looked like part of the sky itself, except his form in the water did not reflect the stars except for his two bright golden eyes framed by black. If he could give himself a nickname, if he wanted a nickname, he could easily go by Ghost, for in the pale moonlight that was what he thought himself to look like.

Tearing himself away from his reflection he noticed there was a series of small stepping stones on a shallow bank that lead straight to the island. That would be an adventure for another day though as he trotted back to the shadows of the treeline, laying by the roots of a nice tree with a picturesque view of the island and the moon in the water and in the sky and he had hope that things might be getting better as he rested his head on his paws, but his ears twitched and his head snapped up- he heard something, but what?
ImageImage
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 06-01-2011 17:57

(Anyone? Anyone at all?)
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 06-01-2011 18:36

(Might be tempted with one of my charries, but I don't know who to use D: )
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 09-01-2011 15:20

The caldera was dark, apart from the moonlight reflecting on the lake. It cast shadows across the mountains, making tall trees loom even more, and distorting shapes into night fantasies. The birds had long since finished their evening choruses and had settled into their nests in the nearby forest, and all other animals had gone back into their dens - all apart from a few nocturnal critters, and a lone female wolf.
The female's smokey lilac pelt looked at of place in its natural environment, but it hid the female rather than made her stand out. She almost melted in to the greyscale of lake she was at, its water just covering the top of her paws as she quenched her thirst for the evening.

Indi lifted her head from lapping at the water, the droplets dripping back into the lake as she stared around, ears perked. Her eyes watched her surroundings attentively as he tongue darted out to lap off the remaining drops of water on her muzzle.

Everything was so still and peaceful...for most other wolves, it would have been calming. For Indiana, however, it made her anxious to move - she needed to go somewhere with more life.

The only thing here that was worth sticking around for was the island, which showed some potential of offering the female an adventure. She noticed a cluster of stepping stones making the island more easily accessable.
Indi's nose twitched and she turned away, sniffing at the pebbly shore before trotting off to find some shelter. She'd see what was on that island in the morning.
However, as she made her way towards some thickets, a ghostly figure caught her eye and she world around, the hairs on her back prickling.
She watched the dark figure for a while as it retreated to the edge of some trees, and it wasn't long before Indi realised it had noticed her presence too.

At least this was interesting.

Slowly, Indi headed towards the other, head lowered to shoulder height and tail raised slightly. Her blue eyes searched the darkness for the other wolf, and when she spotted it - him, even - she let her tail give a little wag.
"And I thought this area was lifeless," she smirked, still keeping herself poised in case the stranger wasn't in the mood for company.

(Oh God! Such a fail post! D: I'm so sorry...!)
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 09-01-2011 16:23

His sensitive ears had picked up the small patter of droplets coming from the lake he had just padded away from and his entire being was put on alert. The last thing he wanted tonight was a confrontation after a long day of traveling, but he refused to turn tail and flee an unknown opponent. Umbra leaned forward a little, making out the soft outline of another lupine form, a figure that almost blended in with the lake, a shadow among shadows. He watched as the moonlight caught the reflection of the droplets dangling from its maw before they were licked away. However, it seemed to see him, and his fur prickled in anticipation, his muscles poised to respond at a moment's notice, but instead of attacking, it trotted towards him. Umbra quickly sniffed around him, searching quickly for any scents to see if this wolf had claimed this territory, he didn't remember any markings when he entered although he could've just been to tired to notice. As it, she he could smell it was a she, she didn't seem threatening, so Umbra would respond in kind.

"And I thought this area was lifeless"

She wagged her tail a little, that was a good sign. Umbra slowly stood, showing he meant no harm. He stood a little taller than her, he didn't feel threatened, but still ever cautious he judged the best escape route. He didn't fight unless he had to. "Would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?" He asked, although he assumed if she wanted to be alone she wouldn't have approached him so nonchalantly. "Forgive me if this is your territory, I didn't notice your markings. I'm just passing through." He said, although part of him didn't want to move on, he would if he was not wanted here...just as he was not wanted anywhere.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 10-01-2011 17:22

"Would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?" He asked, although he assumed if she wanted to be alone she wouldn't have approached him so nonchalantly. "Forgive me if this is your territory, I didn't notice your markings. I'm just passing through."
Indi licked her lips, dipping her head briefly before smiling again.
She studied the male first before considering answering his question. He wasn't too bad looking, his coat a mixture of blues with bright gold eyes. Indi tilted her head to the side before speaking again.

"Well, that depends on whether or not you're willing to be friendly," she teased. "Because it could be a bad thing for you if I have to kick your ass."

Indi added a wag of the tail afterwards to show she meant no hostility with her reply, but still kept a cheeky smirk on her face.

Above them the moon was large in the sky, giving the caldera a ghostly silver look. The male spoke again, and Indi frowned.
"Territory? Of courser not. I just wandered here this evening," she explained, glancing away from the male every so often. He appeared nervous - perhaps she was being too forwards?

...or perhaps he was simply a bit backwards.

"So uh..." Indi cleared her throat sitting down but still cautious in case he turned on her. "My name's Indiana," she introduced herself. "But you can call me Indi."

She motioned with her muzzle to the island in the middle of the lake. "I was considering heading over there in the early morning...would you like to come with me? It's always fun when you get others roped into adventures."
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 10-01-2011 22:47

"Well, that depends on whether or not you're willing to be friendly," she teased. "Because it could be a bad thing for you if I have to kick your ass."

Umbra cocked his head and raised and eyebrow, not used to being spoken to like that, but he couldn't help chuckling softly as he relaxed his muscle all at once and even did a wag of his own tail, this first time he'd done that in a long, long time. He didn't doubt her ability or capacity to defend herself, being a lone wanderer, especially a female, is a rough and dangerous life, but he knew she had underestimated him and had he been anyone else it could've been costly.

"Territory? Of courser not. I just wandered here this evening," "So uh..." Indi cleared her throat sitting down but still cautious in case he turned on her. "My name's Indiana," she introduced herself. "But you can call me Indi."

Umbra bowed his head in acknowledgment, "Pleasure to meet you Indi, I am Umbra, son of Aoule" He said, scanning her features for any hint of recognition at either name. If they didn't know of Umbra, most usually knew Aoule. He had tried not revealing his heritage, despite it being the way he was raised, but that usually ended worse when his tentative companions found out, and they would eventually find out. Not that Umbra defied everything else he'd been taught, but manners had stuck with him. If she did know the name, the best he could expect is her to just run away, while the worst would be her attacking him immediately, it has happened before. Still, he didn't tense up like he normally would and he didn't quite know why. He guessed he liked her spunkiness.

She motioned with her muzzle to the island in the middle of the lake. "I was considering heading over there in the early morning...would uou like to come with me? It's always fun when you get others roped into adventures."

Again, Umbra raised his eyebrow. She was definitely spunky, and straightforward as well. "It would be a pleasure, I had thought to explore it myself, so I'd welcome some company. Now, however, I am quite tired, but unfortunately have found no cave." He never minded sleeping out in the open, as long as he was safe. Luckily he hadn't scented any large predators out here yet. It wasn't a particularly cold night, but at this elevation it was definitely chillier than down off the mountain. He didn't know how to even pose the question of sleeping together without sounding...well, uncouth, so he turned and lay down under the tree near the bush and waited for her to make the next move. He had only honorable intentions, but two strangers snuggling together moments after they first met, especially when they were of opposing genders...he wouldn't be offended in the slightest if she refused his unspoken invitation.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 11-01-2011 17:19

Umbra bowed his head in acknowledgment, "Pleasure to meet you Indi, I am Umbra, son of Aoule" He said, scanning her features for any hint of recognition at either name.
Indi studied his face as he introduced himself. She was tempted to add a slightly sarcastic "and my father's called Trynt...your point is? when she realised that he was watching her for any sort of reaction.

She smiled inwardly.

"Oh!" She smiled. "Him!"
She held her grin for a few seconds before shaking her head, flattening her ears a bit. "Don't know...Aoule...sorry. I'm not really from these parts."

Umbra...it was a unique name. She'd have to think of a nickname for him soon, or try and find out if he had one already.

Again, Umbra raised his eyebrow. She was definitely spunky, and straightforward as well. "It would be a pleasure, I had thought to explore it myself, so I'd welcome some company. Now, however, I am quite tired, but unfortunately have found no cave."

Indi wagged her tail, a devilish smile on her face. So he was up for exploring was he? Her sort of company, definitely.

At the mention of sleep, or at least feeling tired, Indi's mouth parted into a large yawn, her pink tongue curling as she stretched. Fatigue was starting to worm its way into her body, and she smiled apologetically at Umbra.

"Sleep doesn't sound too bad right now, actually," she agreed. "And I'm sure there's decent shelter somewhere here, what with all the tree cover."
He didn't know how to even pose the question of sleeping together without sounding...well, uncouth, so he turned and lay down under the tree near the bush and waited for her to make the next move.
Indi watched as he turned away and started to settle near down under the cover of a tree. He appeared to be waiting for her to do something, and Indiana suddenly realised his actions had an unspoken suggestion to them.

She glanced around her. Well, there didn't seem to be any spots superior to this one, and safety came in numbers. Besides, she felt she could trust this male - he didn't seem to have any impertinent intentions, or wish to harm her.

Indi gave a little bow of her head and a slight wag of her tail before padding towards him and curling up under a bush half a metre or so from him. She flashed him what could be taken as a flirtatious smile before she curled up even tighter and covered her nose with her tail, exhaling slowly and peacefully as she let her mind wander, though she remained alert in case Umbra decided that his politeness was merely a facade, and wanted to try anything on.

Her ears flicked backwards momentarily before she looked up at him again and murmured a quick good night.

She really missed company sometimes...
Mak
Pup

Post by Mak » 12-01-2011 17:01

"Oh!" She smiled. "Him!"
She held her grin for a few seconds before shaking her head, flattening her ears a bit. "Don't know...Aoule...sorry. I'm not really from these parts."

Umbra had prepared for the worst, but when she showed she was joking Umbra...felt slightly offended, and that was strange. He was happy she didn't know him, but the fact she had him worried just to...play. He shrugged it off, she didn't know his fears of being rejected before someone even got to know him. Still, there was a little flutter in his heart until he went to sleep.

"Sleep doesn't sound too bad right now, actually," she agreed. "And I'm sure there's decent shelter somewhere here, what with all the tree cover."

Umbra watched as she moved over and settled a little distance from him and curl up. He took time to examine her prone form, he felt extremely happy that he had some company who wasn't biased against him from the start. She didn't fully trust him, as evident in her position, but Umbra wouldn't have it any other way, he would feel uncomfortable if she was too trusting. This was how it should be, each standing on even meeting grounds. She called back a soft goodnight and Umbra replied in kind. "Pleasant dreams, see you in the morning"

Umbra rolled over onto his side, his back legs sprawled out behind him. He didn't have good dreams, however. They were filled with loneliness, a barren empty wasteland for miles around and he was the only living creature in sight, yet he was surrounded by bleached white skeletons and dancing shadows that looked like wolven shapes until he tried to focus on them in which they'd disappear.

His eyes snapped open with his heart racing. Nothing was out of place. It was morning, the sunlight reflecting off the picturesque lake. He looked around before getting up. The dark wolf beside him no longer seemed quite so mysterious. He would've never guessed she was actually a light lavender color. He didn't see with her back turned, but he could imagine she was a very cute female. He wondered if he growled in his sleep, it wouldn't have been the first time.

Umbra stood and stretched as quietly as he could, not wanting to needlessly wake his companion. He strode to the lake once more and got himself a drink, noticing the surroundings, while not having that mystical feeling they did last night, it was just as beautiful if not more so. The trees that inhabited the island stretched higher than the lip of the caldera, it was quite a big island, the perfect place for prey to be. The dark wolf's stomach rumbled, a constant reminder to the fact he had barely eaten anything for three days, and unless Indi had far superior luck she'd likely be hungry as well. Strangely enough there didn't seem to be much food around. Plenty of small birds, their chirping and tweeting providing a pleasant background song of life. Below the canopy he saw some squirrels and mice, but nothing larger than a rabbit, nothing that could sate his hunger for very long, nothing worth the effort.

Umbra shook himself to make sure he was awake and ambled back up to the sleeping form of his temporary companion. He lay down, quite content to just watch her sleep, not in a creepy way, just appreciating he had someone beside him.
ImageImage
toki333
Warrior

Post by toki333 » 12-01-2011 17:44

Mak wrote:"Pleasant dreams, see you in the morning".
Indi gave her tail a quick wag as she lowered her head again, lifting a paw to place it over her muzzle as her tail wrapped itself around her legs again, sheltering her from the evening chill of the caldera.

As she started to drift asleep, which was quite a while after her final good night, she thought she heard growling. Instinctively, she looked up quickly, ears flattening and her eyes staring around her, all her senses ready to detect a threat.

She felt a real fool when she realised it was just her dreaming companion, who was sprawled out in the same place he'd been in when he'd bid her good night. Indi pulled a face before settling back down again, sighing lightly to herself before finally letting her fatigue claim her.

Indi slept well, having had a pleasant dream. Most of her dreams were normally good ones - though they may have been disturbing to others - and this one was no different to the others.
She was running along a cliff top, her tongue lolling out of her mouth and her legs moving swiftly underneath her as she chased down her prey. As the buck she was chasing veered away, she skidded after it, eventually coming to a halt.
Before her was a large cave - and it smelled of humans. She'd spent most of her dream exploring it, finding plenty of unusual things in there. Including Umbra, who seemed just as intent to explore the cave with her.

That was odd. Wolves she knew hardly ever appeared in her dreams, and when they did they never were with her - merely making cameo appearances or joining in on a hunt and disappearing afterwards.

When the dream faded away and Indi started to drift back into consciousness, she lay still for a while, content to simply relax and enjoy her surroundings with her eyes closed, her dream still prompting an array of thoughts that churned around in her mind.
Maybe she should stick around with the male for a bit. After all, the last proper company or friend she'd had, had been her family - she'd left them over a year ago now.

Indi sensed movement and her ears perked as she heard Umbra get up. He was trying not to make any noise, so that he wouldn't wake her, and she smiled to herself. He disappeared for a bit, eventually returning and settling down again.

There was silence again for a while, the only sound was the background noise of the birds' dawn chorus. The area was so peaceful and fresh, it was enough to lift anyone's heart.

Indiana decided, eventually, that it was time to wake up properly. She licked her lips before rolling over, groaning a little as she felt how stiff she was, and heard a bone click. She opened her eyes, and they gradually adjusted to the bright light of the morning.
As she slowly got herself up into a sitting position, and took in her changed surroundings, she realised that the male - Umbra - was, or at least had been, watching her.

She stood up, shaking the dew out of her fur and yawning sleepily before cocking her head to the side at him.
"Were you watching me?" She asked. She was overly bothered that he had been, really, since his gaze seemed to be intentionless, but still she was curious to see what his reaction to her accusation was.