Back to getting premission before letting them join?

Come and chat here, have fun!! :D
You can also introduce yourself in the special topic!
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Back to getting premission before letting them join?

Post by Nakisha » 20-01-2012 17:09

Hey guys,

Lately, I find myself removing new members (who join and never post, join and spam, join and.... let's say general bots & trolls) and I'm getting a little tired of them.

Before, I had the registration progress directly linked to me; people needed my premission before they could become a member. So once I did give the premission, they could get active.

We later cancelled it to make it easier for everyone to join whenever they felt like it.

But yeah, now we have spam-clowns.

What do you guys think? Back to the old system, or do you think it'll put people off?
~When darkness comes, you know I'm never far~
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Post by Nakisha » 13-02-2012 02:23

Removed inactive users/spambots.

Let's see what it does in the future. If it gets worse, I'll reinstate the active-after-premission-is-given policy. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

Stupid bots.
K.A.T
Beta

Post by K.A.T » 13-02-2012 15:44

I know, really? What are they thinking? Got too much time on their hands so might as well spam? Idiots
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Post by Nakisha » 13-02-2012 17:19

K.A.T wrote:I know, really? What are they thinking? Got too much time on their hands so might as well spam? Idiots
Yeah... plus, bots are just automatisch spam-systems.

I got my own PC protected against all sorts of malware, bots and tracking stuff... But I can't protect Hekaya unless I just control everything. But for now, I'll leave it open and act when they appear. :)
SilverWolf92
Silver of the Mist

Post by SilverWolf92 » 15-02-2012 18:52

i think probably having the "you must be allowed before joining" should be good.

like, i'd see new members sign up but like, never hear from them obviously so it was kind of just like wtf? you know? i think that'd be the safer route :)
ImageImage

Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Post by Nakisha » 21-02-2012 14:54

Indeed Silver, I agree...

After getting 2 more bots on here I now have had enough. Instead of squeezing in a quick reply, I had to deal with two bozo's spamming the place... grrr! So it's back to premission-required-sign up. May they stay away.

So yeah, replies later everyone... *sigh*
Nakisha
Alpha of Hekaya

Post by Nakisha » 01-06-2012 13:12

Lately, I have been removing loads of bots from Hekaya. It seems the decision to check them before letting them join was a good one...

I wonder where all these suckers come from?

I admitted ''Chaos'' and ''Hid'' because they seem normal. Chaos haven't been back since registration yet though so we'll see.

It is, technically, possible I remove someone who ain't a bot. But weird websites/links to stuff to buy in the signature is a no-no for me.